Top Ten Tuesday: Top 10 Books that were Totally Deceiving

Today it's time for Top Ten Tuesday with  The Broke and the Bookish! It's a really fun theme this week, and I can't wait to see what everyone else put!

Top 10 Books that Totally Deceived Me

Books can be deceiving for a lot of reasons. Some of these deceived me in a good way. Others made me put on my grumpy-pants.

What genre did you say this was?

Sometimes we mishear things. Maybe it was from a friend, or a stray review, or maybe it was even from the marketing department. However it happens, we get in our heads that the book is going to be about "A" when it's really about "3.14159." Sometimes I was pleasantly surprised, other times not as much. For me, these were some of those books:


1. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi -- I have no clue how the rumor started circling the interwebs that this was a dystopia. Long story short? It's not. It's a paranormal romance.

2. Incarnate by Jodi Meadows -- I went into this thinking, hmm, reincarnated souls, dragons, quests sounds like a fantasy.  But it's more of a character-journey with a paranormal romance twist.

3. Forgotten by Cat Patrick -- This one was a little closer to what I'd thought going in, but for some reason I anticipated it being more sci-fi, like Julie Cross' Tempest. A lot of it read, again, more like a paranormal romance.


But it's going to be too [ ____ ] for me ...

This is sort of cheating because these didn't actually try to deceive me, I just went in thinking I'd like them way less than I did. They got me, in a good way. I went in a skeptic and came out a lover.

4. Sabriel by Garth Nix --  [Scary] ... Like I've mentioned, I'm a total zombie scaredy-cat. I cant. Do. Zombies. Unless apparently, they're in Garth Nix's books, which I LOVE TO DEATH. Nuff said.

5. Going Postal by Terry Prachett -- [British] ... I've seen the TV shows, I've tried, and I just don't get it. I don't get British humor. Unless it comes from Terry Prachett, who has the claim to fame of making me laugh so hard while reading  that I fell off my elliptical machine at the gym.

6. Bumped by Megan McCafferty -- [Preachy] ... I like books with something to say, but I don't like it forced down my throat. I was worried this one would read that way, but Ms. McCafferty astounded me with her awesomeness on this one. My full review here.

7. Soulless by Gail Carriger -- [Stuffy] ... I loved the premise, but was skeptical about the victorian-ness. I was wrong. This book was the best thing since buttered crumpets.


Uh-oh ... it's going to be just like that other book ...

With the Hunger Games and Twilight making it so big, you're always worried there are going to be a lot of copy-cats out there. These distinguished themselves quite well I thought:

8. Divergent by Veronica Roth -- In many ways, I found this book even more compelling than THG. Not as gimmicky with the fear-factor, and I loved the characters, the premise, the world-building, everything was perfect!

9. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater -- I've always loved wolves, so I suppose it should have been a no brainer that I'd like this one.

10. Unearthly by Cynthia Hand -- I thought I'd had waaay too much paranormal romance for a lifetime, and that they were mostly all the same, but I decided to read just one more. I'm so glad I did! Loved this book!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement