A Little of This and a Little of That!

So... summer break is here! My kids finished school yesterday and now we settling into our new "normal" for the next two months. Late nights playing outside, swimming, ice cream for dinner, picnics, the beach, fireworks... and lots, and lots, and LOTS of dishes! I swear these kids eat 600 times a day! What is that about?!?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


So, these are sitting on my nightstand ready for me to read this summer. I've read bits and pieces of Book Love, but I'm eager to sit and read the whole thing. And I'm super excited for Writing with Mentors. Even though it's written for grades 9-12, I'm sure I'll get a lot out of it. Using mentor texts in writing is my jam! I use Notice and Note in my class already, so I'm looking forward to see what the nonfiction version has to offer. And of course I have to save something from my man, Kelly Gallagher.

What are you reading this summer? Are you a PD-reading nerd like me, or do you give your teacher brain a rest over the summer?


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


Also, as I said in my last post, I've got some great FREEBIE lessons coming your way in July! This year for our summer learning program, I'm putting together a creative writing class that uses picture books as mentor texts. I'm stoked for summer school and so excited to share these lessons with you. Here are some of the books that I think I'm using:


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
And lastly, I want to share this new product with you that I am just SOOOOOOOO excited about:

I've been wanting to make a product like this for a long time, and I finally got around to designing some pages and trying it out with some of my struggling writers this past school year. I spent the first few days of my summer break (while my own children were still in school!) putting it all together and getting it up in my store.

Basically these are Interactive Writer's Notebook pages. There are over 60 pages that can be glued into a student's writer's notebook to give your kids a little "creative nudge." (Note: if your students do not use writer's notebooks, you can just print the pages and staple them together.) I love these because I so often have students who lack writing motivation/inspiration. They hate when I tell them what to write about, but also struggle to get their act together when I tell them they can write about anything they want.
These pages allow students to have some creative choice, but then also the structure and support they need to get their words on the page. (And I cannot stress enough how much fun all the doodley clip art makes writing!) They were a big hit with 7th graders, especially my boys who are a few years below grade level in their writing.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

So, that's what I've been up to!! How about you? Have you started break yet? Maybe your break is at a different time than ours? I'd love to hear from you!!

Happy Teaching!!

P.S. I will be on vacation for the rest of June, but come back and visit me in July and check out my FREEBIE writing lesson plans :)

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement