The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown - Writing With Mentor Texts series

So, summer learning has kicked off with a bang! I am absolutely in love with my new group of kiddos. They are simply AWESOME! I am so excited to spend the next year with them :) (Last year I wrote about the URSA program that we have at our school. I am the 7th grade URSA teacher, so these kids will be with me for the 2016-2017 school year.)

The first few days, we did a lot of ice breakers/getting-to-know-you/team building stuff. I use some activities from this:



And this:


The kids had a blast!


It was great to watch them work and start the important process of becoming a "family."

I also introduced them to the joys (and hand-cramping!) of Quick Writing. Very few complaints this year, so I'm taking that as a GREAT sign:


And now, I want to share with you the first of my Writing with Mentor Texts series! I am so, so excited to share these posts with you! I LOVE using mentor texts when I teach writing. I cannot think of a better way to inspire middle schoolers.



Since I will be teaching these kids all school year, I needed to put together lessons that are not part of my September-May curriculum. I knew that I wanted to use children's literature and picture books as my mentor texts for the summer (what's more fun than a picture book!?!) so I scoured the Internet and talked to lots of different colleagues about their favorite stories.

Over the next several weeks, I'll be sharing the lessons that I will doing this summer with you for FREE! So, check back often throughout July and August to gather up your FREEBIES!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Lesson One: The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement