Writing With Mentor Texts Series - Lesson #1

Lesson #1 of my Free Writing with Mentor Texts Summer Series. This lesson talks about using a timeline to map out a story.


Hi Friends!! Welcome to the first lesson in my Writing with Mentor Texts Series for 2017! You can read all about my objective for my summer learning program here.

Okay, I'm just going to get started! Day 1 took a bit because I had to explain the project and let the kids put their notebook together. For the covers, I used some awesome clip art from Prince Padania available on TpT. I love the caricature look and the variety of cultures represented. (Of course some students elected to create their own cover and that is fine, too!)



For notebooks, I just used some of those flimsy marble notebooks. The size is 8.5 in. x 7 in. and there are 36 leaves per book. You can find similar ones at Walmart.

Once the notebooks were covered, it was time to get started with our first lesson using a mentor text. Today we used the book The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus.



We focused on creating a timeline of "principal events" in our lives like the one in the book. You can see my model down below. (PSA... make sure you are doing this project along with your students!! You are the BEST MENTOR!)



Okay... that was a lot for one day. Luckily, I have a 75-minute period during the summer, otherwise this would definitely have taken more than one class!

Hope you enjoyed this lesson! Remember, this summer I teaching an entire unit in summer school, so each lesson will build upon the next. That means you'll need to check back throughout the summer for the rest of lessons (there are 10 in all!), so come back soon!


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


View the other lessons in this series:


Also available in my TpT store:



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement