Teach This Lesson Tomorrow - Nonfiction Poetry


It has been soooooo looooong since I've done one of these posts! Gah! I apologize for the delay.

Anyway, I've got the COOLEST lesson that you can teach tomorrow in your class. I wasn't sure how this would turn out, but I've got to say that this might be one of my favorite "Teach This Lesson Tomorrow" lessons I've done.

It involves this really neat picture book called Eight Days Gone, which is all about the Apollo 11 mission to the moon. The book is historically accurate, but it's written in verse. Don't ya love that?!?

So, here's all you need to do:

1. Give the kids some background knowledge on Apollo 11 (I used Wikipedia... there is no shame!).

2. Read the picture book aloud.

3. Review rhyme scheme.

4. Give kids an article to read. (I used this one about Martin Luther King, Jr. from Newsela).

5. Have the kids retell the article in verse.

6. Share :)

This one was a favorite. (Ignore the typos):


I am thinking that, from time to time, I might have kids forgo the typical Article of the Week and instead have them turn their article into poetry. Nothing like shaking up nonfiction with some creative juice!

If you try this lesson, let me know. I'd love to hear about it. And if you've got a great example from this lesson, even better! Share it with me on Facebook.


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement