Show, Don't Tell: Getting Students to Add Details to Their Writing

 


No doubt you've advised your students to "show, don't tell" when helping them revise their writing. In my 16-year career, I've said it hundreds of times.

It wasn't until recently, though, that I started to explicitly teach them what I mean by "showing" and not "telling." I was inspired to start this after listening to some students peer conference a while back and hearing them all tell each other to "add more details" to their pieces. I then watched those students stare at their writing, trying to figure out just how to revise their work using that advice.

Now, I teach several lessons over the course of the school year all about how to "show, not tell." We focus on four ways authors show their readers what is happening:


This anchor chart, along with a complete lesson, is available HERE in my TpT Store.

This year, I upped the "Show, Don't Tell" game a bit by opening with this fun anticipatory set. I created an activity where kids need to figure out where I was based on a series of clues. I revealed the clues to them one at a time. The object of the activity was the be the first person to correctly guess my whereabouts with the least number of clues. Kids were only allowed to guess one time, so they needed to make sure they were confident in their guess because they couldn't guess again.

The day I did this activity, I shared it in my IG stories. Here is a snippet of my stories that day:


I had lots of people ask for a copy of the presentation I used in class, but I had to change the photos to ones that I have permission to use. I happy to say that the presentation is now available for FREE in my store, so head on over and grab yourself a copy HERE.


If you try this in your classroom, I'd love to hear how it turns out! I also always looking for other ways you teach your kids to "show, don't tell" so please share! Drop me a line below or hit me up on Facebook or IG.

visit website on pendidiknesia.com



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement