Summer School - Week Two - Seventh Grade ELA

Summer School-Week Two-Free Lesson Plans for 7th Grade ELA

Hello Friends!! I'm here today to post my lesson plans from week two of summer school. Yes, we did just wrap up week three, but I've had a bunch of computer issues, along with a wicked stomach bug that has plagued my kiddos, and so I am just getting around to posting week two.

Sigh. 

Always something!

Anyway, the poem we worked with during week two is one of my all-time favorites: "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon. I adore this poem and I adore the poetry this poem inspires my students to write.

Poetry - Lesson Plans

We started by reading and analyzing the poem. And then we did some brainstorming for our own.

"I Am From..." brainstorming organizer

After that, we wrote... and shared... and critiqued... and wrote some more!! And, as always, my kids blew me away.

We also worked on commas this week.

Word Work Lesson Plans
Of all the punctuation, commas are the most tricky! I actually began by reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves which is always a great place to start any lesson on commas.

I have to say, despite how little the kids seemed to know about commas on Monday, they were much improved by Thursday. Will it transfer? Gah!! Who knows? Overall, I'm still unsure of how much teaching grammar skills in isolation even works, but I also feel like I need to try. And the beauty of summer school is that we are free to try all kinds of strategies, activities, lesson ideas, etc. without the pressures of giving grades or tests. It's actually what I love best about summer school: the ability to test-drive some teaching that is out of my norm!!

Well, like I said, I just wrapped up my third week and will be posting those plans in a few days. That will be the last week that I post because even though we still have one more to go, we have a few things that we are doing that are exclusive to my district and kids... in otherwords, not helpful to share with you.

Hope your summer is going well. It certainly is going fast, that's for sure!! I can't believe that in a few weeks, I'll be posting back-to-school stuff!! Eek! Slow down!!


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement