Strategy #2 - The Scavenger Hunt (Engagement Strategies Series)

Here comes round #2 of my series on Engagement Strategies. This activity is one of my FAVORITE things to do in my classroom. It works well for me because I have a large classroom library, but you can always take the kids to your school library and have them do it there.

I think this is the best way to teach grammar, figurative language and sensory details, characterization techniques, mood and tone... anything, really, can be taught through this activity!

So, just what am I talking about? It's a...

Library Book Scavenger Hunt


The concept is super simple: decide on something you want students to "find." In these pictures, students are looking for details that appeal to all five senses (we had been working on figurative language and sensory details for a few days prior to the scavenger hunt).

Then, set them loose with a bunch of literature and have them record the examples that they find in the stories!





After about 20 minutes or so, have them share their favorite examples that they recorded in their notebook!

I love this activity for several reasons: 

1.) Kids are READING!! 
2.) It is the most authentic way in the world to teach reading and writing elements. 
3.) Kids are READING!! 
4.) You can literally hear a pin drop in the room... they LOVE getting this much time to just page through books! 
5.) It can even make grammar fun! (This is, in fact, pretty much the only way I teach grammar... give them a few mentor sentences that illustrate what I want them to know, and then send them off to find me as many examples as they can of that skill.)
6.) They are READING!!! 

Have you ever tried a scavenger hunt? Think you will in the future? I'd love to hear how it goes!!

Happy Teaching!!


Check out all five of the posts in this series:


                                   

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement